Monday, August 24, 2009

I sometimes wonder what kind of boring existence I would lead were it not for the Campbells. There doesn't seem to be a reason why we even know each other let alone having them be more than friends. I guess the mutual admiration comes mostly because of the entertainment value we find in each other.
If you can't find it in this picture then I guess I can't explain it. The Co-Best men posed for a picture with the 'officiant' as they are described by Colorado law. The officiant doesn't need to be an umpire but if the wedding is going to be on a baseball field, then it's okay. The umpire isn't really an umpire but he plays one during weddings.

Several months ago I got a call and was told that I was going to be asked to perform a wedding ceremony. One side of me wanted to say no. The thinking being that I didn't need the chance to mess up someone else's wedding. But the overwhelming sentiment from within was a feeling of honor that these two, Desiree and Nate, would think as much of me as I do of them. Nate is Ralph and Char's son and Desiree and her children have together become part of this farm family and we to theirs. All of this coupled with the fact that it was so far in advance of the wedding that it was really something that would never happen. Maybe with luck I would succumb to Blog Flu or perhaps cancer, well in advance of the event. No such luck.
Some of you know I do my best work when under extreme pressure and although I traveled to Denver with the words I wanted to say, all in my computer, the segments were not arranged in proper order, nor were they until game day morning. Err..the day of the wedding. The grooms mother, Char, who is a computer genius, and who had too much to do that day, calmly helped take product from my laptop, converted it into something that would work on her computer and then printed it out. Sorry Char for being such a pain at the last minute, but you are good.
You see, these two, Nate and Desiree, are ardent baseball fans and wanted to be married in a replica of Coors Field where the Rockies play. It indeed was a sceinic venue for a wedding. The grounds crew had done a marvelous job and had the field prepared for play, or a wedding, whichever came first.
The crowd was told to come dressed casually and fun was in the air.
I must say that the wedding had a good balance of fun and deep meaning. I had scores of folks come to me and say that it was the most meaningful and or best wedding they had ever attended sighting the venue, the message, the ballpark organ music and on and on. I am so happy for the couple and know this is done deal. What a great concept they started with.
I should have told them "There's no flowers in basefall." Here I am in the stands waiting for the wedding to begin.
I'm going to start with some photos in no particular order because, well, that's the way blogger treats me. I tell it to put the picture here and it ends up there.
The first pic is of the field in it's ready to go state.
Next is Bubba posing. The third pic was taken during the wedding vows.The last shot is of course the lighting of the "Unity Baseballs."
The lovely girl standing behind Desiree is her daughter. These three along with Bubba make the new family unit and I must say they are all winners.
My next post will be five photo's from the reception.
I'll leave you with the last paragraph from my message to the couple.
'Live, Laugh and Love, like there is no tomorrow, because eventually, that will be the case. Turn to God often, put your trust in him, and he will surely Bless this marriage from now until time immemorial. Be childlike, wonder at everything, Be in awe of Gods goodness.'

18 comments:

Ralph said...

WOW, Cliff. Great post!!! Thanks. I have to go find Char and have her read it.
Ralph

WOR said...

What a touching post! No, I am not a computer genius--I have a great teachers (15, 16, 17, & 18 year olds)

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Cliff! I don't think Nate and Desiree could have asked for a nicer person to perform their ceremony. They certainly are a beautiful family. Best of luck to them.

As far as you and Ralph. The friendship was meant to be. And we are all better for it. Lisa

Live Well, Laugh Often and Love Much said...

What an emotional post! Just beautiful, this day that will be cherished in our hearts forever.

Thank you (Father) Cliff, so much from the bottom of our hearts for making this day absolutely perfect!

Ralph said...

Cliff
I just read this again (well, actually for the fourth time today). Your message that day was more meaningful, and heartfelt, than a lot of ceremonies I have been to. Nate and Desiree listened and heard. I listened, the crowd listen. Besides being a good umpire, a great friend, you also have that 'whole word thing' going for you.
Ralph

Rachel said...

I know you were honored to be the official "officiant" at their wedding! The words you said are beautiful and wonderful advice. I wish I could have been there. I'm sure there was lots of laughter with Desiree around!!

I assume that the NDC on your cap stands for Nathan Desiree Campbell, and not
National Democratic Convention?

Ralph said...

Okay Rachel, to keep Cliff's blood pressure down I will field this one. NDC = Nathan and Desiree Campbell.
Ralph

Jim said...

I can't wait to seek if you took your hat off during any part of the officiation.
This might be a first!
..
Okay, since it's colorado, second only to california in goofiness I might have to rethink the above.
..

Paul Nichols said...

A really great post, Cliff. A classic wedding. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm thinking that their marriage was destined for beauty and blessings from the moment they asked you to 'officiate'--several months ago.

Shannon said...

Cliff, this is adorable!!!

EV said...

It is adorable; great idea, friends, ceremony and photos. Thanx for sharing the experience.

Jerry in Texas said...

I think they picked the perfect officiant for their wedding. You have a way with word on paper. It's even better to hear them in person.

Glad you got them two kids to the altar, er diamond, er field. Got 'em hitched anyways. Good job, Cliff!

Peter said...

Great post Cliff, tell me though was the wire mesh fence, through which the photos were taken, to protect the "official" party or the guests??

LZ Blogger said...

Cliff ~ What a great post. I am sure that Ralph feels he is lucky to have a friend like you too! Looks like a great wedding. I loved the quote at the end! That's one we should all live by! ~ jb///

Jamie Dawn said...

Amen and amen!!
What a marvelous wedding!!!
I am so happy for them and for you too.
What a great place to get married. How wonderful to have a fun wedding. I can't imagine Desiree having anything other than a fun wedding with her infectious smile and laugh. She was a joy to meet at Blogstock.
Oh, and her new hubby is pretty cool too. I know Ralph and Char are so proud and very happy for the whole family. God bless them all.

Granny Annie said...

Now I'm really curious about exactly how you did meet Ralph?

LZ Blogger said...

Glad to see you back bud! ~ jb///

nora leona said...

I've always thought I'd have engagement party at a baseball game, but a wedding would be even better!
I'm in the bullpen waiting! Any takers?