Saturday, September 21, 2013

Recording Re-Surfaced

My daughter Juli, who is organist at the First Lutheran Church in Blair and the Tekamah First Baptist Church in Tekamah, played this piece, Taccota and Fugue in D minor by J.S. Bach, for a spring recital while in college back in 1996 I believe. She was majoring in Organ Performance. She is pictured here with a niece.
It was originally recorded on a cassette tape and then digitized and tweaked by some friends at American Gramaphone.
Marilyn recorded this and I didn't attend as I was trying to catch up planting corn. It is likely one of the biggest mistakes of my life to not have witnessed this in person
Turn up your volume and especially the bass on your speakers, click on link and sit back and enjoy. They cut the applause short at the end but it went on for some time. The organ was in the balcony of a large cathederal and at the end of the recording, you can her professor encouraging her to take another bow.
.
 
 
The Hendrickson Opus 78 Organ Used In This Recording
St Joseph Cathedral, Sioux Falls, SD

Click this link:
https://app.box.com/s/lfrapspsq6uzu1vth315

13 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Brag on Papa, brag on! You and Marilyn have raised some truly talented children. This piece gave me chills and I tried to imaging watching Juli pouring her soul into each key played.

Okie Sis said...

One of my favorite pieces and knowing it's your beautiful daughter at the keyboard makes it almost overwhelming!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful--thank you for sharing---Several folks from Blair have told me how very much they enjoy Julie in their church--both as a person and as a musician.We shall listen to this often. Robbie

Peter said...

Cliff you're right, missing this just to plant corn was a BIG mistake.

Jerry in Texas said...

That was amazing, Cliff. And she can drive a semi truck too! Thanks for sharing.

After 10 years of piano lessons, I could barely play the Notre Dame Fight Song with sheet music.

I am in awe!

Lanny said...

That was beautiful! Truly beautiful!

Paul Nichols said...

Gloria and I are really proud to know that your daughter played that Opus so well. That is an awesome recording and, you're right: It is one of the biggest mistakes of your life not to have been there.

Thank you for posting and sharing this, Cliff. It's outta this world great. Gloria heard a bit and then when she comes back we're going to play it again.

Paul Nichols said...

We listened again. Gloria said, "This is incredible!"

Ralph said...

I've listened to this about 5 times. All your kids have talent.
Ralph

Janell said...

I logged onto this rather late at night and when I saw it was 10 minutes and 22 seconds long, I thought, "Oh, dear. Maybe I should wait til morning." About 3 minutes into it, I was thinking, "DANG! This is only 10:22!" Didn't want it to end!

Unknown said...

I often listen to Julie's performance while I am needing some inspiration to complete the proverbial paperwork in the evening. The Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is one of my favorites and Julie presentation was just Awesome!

Lee said...

I was sure I commented on this post, Cliff. I went to do so, but something must have interrupted me...sorry.

This is absolutely wonderful. You have every right to be proud. :)

Rachel said...

Wow, what an awesome talent Julie has!! This was amazing and I'm sure you regret planting corn instead, but at least you have the recording! Thanks for sharing Cliff!!! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!!