Saturday, April 07, 2012

It's Strawberry Time


It's strawberry time again and I'm going to share my wife's recipe for shortcake. No matter who you are, you will have your guests bowing down or possibly falling to their knees in praise and thanking you for making this for them.  I suppose you might think 'What would a farmer know about cooking?"
Then I ask "Have you ever seen a picture of me?" Of course I'm an expert on food, and this is the best shortcake recipe in existence. The only thing is, the instructions say to use1/2 cup sugar and another 1/4 cup on top before placing in oven.. Believe me, if you forget to sprinkle that 1/4 cup sugar, on top of the batter, then you will turn it into every other shortcake. Remember 1/2 cup in batter, 1/4 cup on top. Here it is.
1/2 C. butter or margarine, softened
2     tsp. baking powder
1/4  tsp. salt
1/2  C Milk
1/2  C Sugar (in batter)
1/4  C reserved for top
1 C. Flour
1      Egg
Lightly mix all ingredients; pour the thick batter into a 8 X 12 pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar; bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until brown. Serve with fresh strawberries and cream.
This is also really good any time of year with frozen strawberries from the store.

8 comments:

Ralph said...

I've had that shortcake. Man, it is really good. Then you add fresh strawberries - it really doesn't get any better than that. I can be there in eight hours.
Ralph

Donna. W said...

I thought I was the only person left making shortcake from scratch!

TARYTERRE said...

It's almost 4;30 in the morning. We've been up dying and decorating Easter eggs. Then I got online. Read about this shortcake recipe of your wife and it got me all hungry. Going to have to try it. SOUNDS delicious. HAPPY EASTER to you and your family.

Rachel said...

Well gosh Cliff. Too bad we don't have taste in cyberspace! It looks and sounds delicious!! You have flung a craving on me for strawberry short cake!!

Jim said...

Oops, Cliff, did you spill the beans on one of Our Lady's special cooking secrets?

I'll have Mrs. Jim try making that for me as soon as we get back from Karen's. Thank you.
..

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Now man, if ya just pass me a fork, I'll be one happy camper!!!

It looks delicious! I do have some strawberries frozen from last year's pickin'. Hummmmm, maybe I'll surprise Farm Boy tonight. I'm good at that!!! Heeehehehe!

God bless ya and have yourself a magnificent weekend!!! :o)

Lanny said...

At our house we either use biscuits or pound cake under our strawberries and fresh whipped cream. The girls used to always make buttery breakfast biscuits but recently Bet changed it up from her sister's recipe find to one of her own. So since nothing around here is ever written in stone we will try this when our strawberries come along.

Granny Annie said...

Fixed this today as part of our Fourth of July celebrations. I've been dying to give it a try. Please offer Marilyn my heartfelt thanks for the absolute BEST shortcake ever! And so easy. We're in heaven with this great dessert.