Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Great Recipe Alert!

I have several local readers to this blog. One has commented a very limited number of times over the years but he and his wife keep up with me and few of you quite religiously. His name here in the blogosphere is 'Blue' (the local baseball umpire who is without peer) and his wife Mrs Blue. I first wrote about him HERE. I reread the comments and see that this post was the first time my good friend Paul visited my Blog.
We had golf league tonight and Blue was on the committee to do the cooking. He brought a pan of bars that were... well, shall I say very, very good. He credited Mrs Blue with having made the bars and this blog post is a shameless attempt to get her to post the recipe in the comments. If she does, it will do you all well to retain the recipe and then make the bars the next time you are attempting to get your spouse to do something they don't want to do. A word of warning, don't waste these bars on something like convincing someone to take the trash out. Instead use them for something big like a cruise, or a visit to a foreign country or possibly as a way to get a new house built complete with 4 bedrooms and 3 and 1/2 baths. Or...well, you know.

17 comments:

nora leona said...

Are these get-a-boyfriend good?

I anxiously await the recipe!

True_Floridian Momma said...

good to know ;)
awaiting the recipe!!

EV said...

....to buy a Caribbean Island!? :)

Rachel said...

They sound great! I hope Mrs. Blue will post the recipe.

Pretty please Mrs. Blue?????

Anonymous said...

Cliff, can you give me a hint as to what kind of bars Blue brought last night? Three kids and a ride in his combine are the only things that I've gotten from the ones that he left the house with.

Mrs. Blue

Cliff said...

Now that's funny Mrs Blue.

So...is it a highly guarded family recipe or not?

Btw, riding in the combine is just the type of activity you should avoid if trying to not have children. You don't find stuff like that out until it's too late.

Ralph said...

Okay Cliff - we're all hunger for these bars now. Post Mrs. Blues phone number and I'm sure a few of us will give her a call. On second thought. . . you might just want to call her.
Ralph

LZ Blogger said...

So Cliff... where's is ol' blue's wife's recipe. I was going to make those bars for MY WIFE (aka Mrs. LZ) in the hopes that she would take MEon a world cruise or something. He must be out ump-ing? ~ jb///

Lee said...

Come on, Mrs. Blue...we won't tell anyone your secret bar recipe...come on...share it with us! Pretty pleeeeeze! :)

Anonymous said...

OK - here it is. It's a family favorite. I'll bring a pan or two to Blogfest '08.

DEPRESSION BARS
Boil together for 3 minutes:
1 cup sugar
1 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup English walnuts - chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
When cool add:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Put batter in jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is brown.
Immediately upon removing from the oven, pour on a powdered sugar glaze.
Mrs. Blue

1 plus twins said...

i sure will have to try these bars but i am not using them for a house or pool (and you know how bad i want and need that), i am a sweets freak so they are mine all mine!!!

Cliff said...

Hey Jerry, here's your recipe, I hope that you and Mrs LZ will now finally be able to do some traveling.
Thanks Mrs Blue, I'm still laughing at your comment.

Anonymous said...

First visit to your blog (how could I have missed it before???) and I sure picked a good one, didn't I? I haven't got a combine...perhaps if I bake these for City Boy he'll buy me one! (Not sure what I'd do with it, but they sound fun!)

Jim said...

Thank you, Mrs Blue. And thanks, Cliff too. Now I'll try to gather my marbles up a little better.

Oh yes, I visited the Hat Blog that Paul and his 'first wife' have started. I have several hats, I'll send one once in a while.
..

Paul Nichols said...

Hi Cliff. Thanks for the plug. I'm gonna try those bars, too--when I get to Blog Stock '08. I sure hope you're inviting Mrs. Blue.

And notice the comment from Tracey. You should visit her and visit her often. She maintains a terrific blog. There's a place where you can vote for her, too. I'm gonna put her hat picture up in a day or so.

Jamie Dawn said...

Double Yum Yummy!!

No mayo in the recipe means JD can partake.
Pass those bars, Mrs. Blue!
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Are they low calorie and fat free???? :-)

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Mrs. Blue....
Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to use it to get a vacation...and soon.