Thursday, January 04, 2007

2007 Is Up and Running Here On the Farm!

We have spent the last 4 days babysitting THESE two. It was fun. Mostly. The two boys and their wives went to the Cotton Bowl and celebrated Dan's New Years Eve birthday. Number thirty for those of you keeping track.
We had kids this age, once upon a time. And I farmed full time and Marilyn ran the kennel by herself. And we were somehow able to spend the time required to raise the kids.
I told their parents that I thought we could accomplish our goal of delivering the kids back to Mom and Dad... alive. We did. There was a time when a two year old and an 8 month old weren't full time jobs for Marilyn and I. They are now. But all in all it's not a bad job.
The oldest of these girls tries her hardest not to smile at Grandpa. I found her weakness when I gave her the raspberry. Something she obviously has been scolded at home for doing. This made a big smile come to her face. I think she thought she was getting away with something. During a diaper change she said in her very faint, little voice, 'Boppa, I smell crap.' I knew right there that I could die happy in the knowledge that my oldest son was doing his part in taking care of the children. She didn't learn that from her Mom.
The little one didn't laugh a lot with me. She always looks at me with a slight smile like she is expecting me to tell her a good joke. Idid tell her some stories, until Grandma said in her stern voice, "Grandpa!" I have always adorned stories and books with my own words.
Marilyn is like the perfect Grandma. They love her.
We handed them off on Tuesday morn. Peace and harmony prevailing.
On the downside, I spent yesterday sitting in my recliner with a bucket in my lap, and staring at the wall. There were frequent visits to the 'thunder mug'. Okay! Too much information.
Until I feel better, I'm witholding judgement on 2007.

17 comments:

1 plus twins said...

oh i am so glad you got to spend a few days with the grandkids. sounds like you had fun. so sorry your sick now, hope you feel better soon!! no more visuals please, that is one i don't want. lol and yes the parade seats were the best. we are spoiled now and won't want to go to one unless we have good seats like that. lol

LZ Blogger said...

Cliff ~ Well at least THOSE TWOcuties made up for the Cotton Bowl results! Happy New year to you too! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick. Hope you are feeling better now!

So glad you got to have fun with the two little ones! It would not be easy for me! Boppa!! How cute!

I can imagine you telling them stories and putting your own words in. My Dad was once bouncing a little granddaughter on his knee (about the age of Allison) and he sang this little song,
"Granny does your chicken peck? No child No. I cut his pecker off a long time ago."

I said, "DAD!!"

He said, "What's wrong? She is too little to understand and it's not a dirty song. It's only dirty because you think it is!!!" You would have liked my Dad!!

Anonymous said...

I just made the connection about the up and running part!! LOL

(Yeah, I know I'm slow.)

Paul Nichols said...

Thunder Mug? That's a good one.

Cliff, I'll be leaving some words of wisdom about dealing with a wife with knee problems on my blog in a day or two. Stay tuned.

THUNDER MUG!!??!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are not well Cliff, definitely no pictures though.
Very Cute grand daughters, smart too, know what crap smells like.

Jim said...

Hi Cliff -- I hope the good outweighed the bad, I think it did.
Good, you got to visit with the grandkids;
Bad, Huskers couldn't keep on going; and
Bad, you might have given that up and runny stuff to the kids?
..

Anonymous said...

Now those are beautiful little kids and I bet they have you wound around their little fingers.

My twin grandbabies are coming for a three day visit this week-end. I am looking forward to the opportunity to play my Nana role.

Anonymous said...

And, as a plus, in a few years they'll be old enough to do farm chores!

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
I hope you're feeling better. My dad was sick earlier this week and called to tell me details. I hate details.

Now Dan can blame the "crap talk" on you.

EV said...

"thunder mug", bwahahahahah! Keep that seat belt fastened.

I hope you are feeling better and have a recuperative weekend, Cliff.

Kendra Lynn said...

Hope you are feelin' better.
We had that nasty bug here, too...ugh.
Lasted three days or so...and now we are back to normal.

Your grandkids are so cute!

KEndra

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had yourself a grand old time, Cliff! :)

Anonymous said...

Marilyn....Bring me a bucket!

Sounds like a Monty Python sketch.

Hope you're felling better soon.

TamWill said...

Those sure are some preeety grandkids you got there!

Sorry to hear your sick, hope ya get well quick.

Jamie Dawn said...

Those two girls are your pride and joy. My late FIL used to say, \"Do you want to see a picture of my pride and joy?\' When someone answered yes, he\'d pull a wallet sized photo from his wallet and on it was a picture of dish soap bottles with labels on them marked Pride and Joy. I just remembered that, and I loved when he would do that!

So sorry that you\'re heaving and squirting.
Chicken soup and extra soft Charmin are needed.
Get well soon!

Anonymous said...

I wish Marilyn all the best with the knee surgery tomorrow. I know you will take good care of her!