Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Farewell to Lloyd

The older I get the more I appreciate humility. Not the intentional kind. The kind you can't manufacture. It's just there. The folks you like to stop and talk to, are usually the ones who have it. You can try to get them to talk about themselves but they can't. They turn every conversation around and point it away from themselves.
We had a neighbor couple who were that way. She's been gone a few years and her husband Lloyd has now joined her. His funeral is Thursday. They called and wanted me to be an honorary pall bearer. Having not heard the news, I was saddened.
I immediately got to thinking about how gracious, kind, unassuming, friendly, generous, and selfless these folks had been.
My Dad used to often say "As you get old, your bad traits will either disappear or get worse." I see it nearly everyday. The neatest, happiest, most lovely people I know are old. The meanest, most unhappy, and vengeful people I know are old.
As I fast approach 'old', things like the passing of plain, peaceable, ordinary, humble people who have been good neighbors and friends reminds me that I must try harder to be like them. To avoid complaining, to build up instead of constantly tearing down. Our country doesn't need anymore of that.
They didn't win an oscar, or take millions of dollars away from a big corporation in a trial. These are the truly great people of our society and somehow need to be replaced. They have taught us by example how to live life and how to leave the world better than they found it.
In these parts we say "They were good people". Well, Lloyd and his wife were indeed good people.
Lloyd's son and daughter in-law are still our neighbors and for that we are fortunate. They come from good stock.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Cliff. It had me misty eyed. So true, so true. Lloyd will be missed. So sad to see them go.

EV said...

Ohhhhh, THANK YOU Cliff for those words, "As I fast approach 'old', things like the passing of plain, peaceable, ordinary, humble people who have been good neighbors and friends reminds me that I must try harder to be like them."

Anonymous said...

A good post about good people Cliff, both you and your Dad had /have a great way with words.

Rhodent said...

Nice words. I wonder what will be said about me when I die? For you, I am sure, there will be some mention of your sense of humor... maybe they will read some excerpts from your book!

Raggedy said...

What a wonderful post.
RIP LLoyd.
It is so hard to see the good ones go.
Hugssssssss

PinkCat said...

A very lovely post Cliff and so very true. You are a good one Cliff. You rock!!

Take care xx

Anonymous said...

A fitting tribute to 'the good people', Cliff and a wonderful philosophy of life to which to aspire. I think you're already one of the 'good people'. :)

eyes_only4him said...

all u say is true cliff..

sorry about your friend..

I think I am ognna be a mean old hag when I get old...but I am ok with that..

great post and sorry for the loss..

Miki said...

What a nice tribute to your friend, Cliff. What a nice tribute to his life. I am truly saddened for your loss.

JUST A MOM said...

I am sorry for your loss, you have made me think of where or what or even who I will become. Thank you.

LZ Blogger said...

Cliff ~ Sorry for your loss, but... at least they left you with a couple of things... GOOD NEIGHBORS & GOOD MEMORIES! ~ jb///

Ralph said...

Cliff
There is a lot of wisdom in this post. Thanks for writing it.
Sorry about Lloyd.
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
I'm sorry to hear about Lloyd. He sound like he was a good neighbor.

Anonymous said...

I too had farmed neighbor to Loyd for several years. We set and talked many times on the endgate of the pickup truck about the weather, prices and how things looked.
He will be missed by many as he was a "good old boy"!

Felecia said...

What a wonderful way to be remembered. I seldom witness people stopping to think of those around them in such a becoming light; but it's something I could sure get used to.

Paul Nichols said...

I know what you're talking about. You wrote a great tribute. Blessings to you.

TamWill said...

I have had the pleasure of knowing a few like your dear old Lloyd.

You can learn alot from people like that. Sounds like you have too.
Sorry to know that you lost a friend.

Jamie Dawn said...

I pray for more Lloyds in this world of ours.
Good stock is the best there is!

God bless his family. I know he will be greatly missed.