Friday, January 19, 2007

Misc. (that's all I can spell of it without getting the dictionary out)

The touring group of The Lion King is currently camped in Omaha's Orpheum Theatre for a couple of weeks. As a Christmas present to our manager at the kennel (our daughter) and her kids, and my mother in-law, we purchased 5 orchestra level tickets for the show. The reasoning being that Marilyn would take those 4 with her. The knee replacement required that I take them down in her stead. It was a great show. See it if you can if it comes to your area. The show completely engulfs the building at times. The costuming is fabulous as well as the singing. I suppose the highlight for all of us was the near full sized elephant that came down the aisle and up on stage at the start of the show. Two and one half hours. $20 for the souvenir program.
&
Marilyn has been in the dumps with her knee replacement recovery. Eleven days of sitting, and pain, and swelling, and some nausea, and not being able to get back to normal in a week and half had her feeling pretty blue. She has been worried about when she could start excercising and if she would have made any progress in the Doctors eye's. Well today at the check up which was to include removing the staples, the Surgeon and his Physicians Assistant entered the room. They both bent over. The assistant in front and the Dr behind her looking over her shoulder as they pulled the wraps off of the knee. They both sounded just like two grandmothers getting to see a brand new baby. "Oh Marilyn!" Right here we were both afraid of what was next. "It Is Beautiful." "Oh Wow, you are doing SO WELL!"
The sight of her knee would probably make some of you folks light headed. But this is proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The recent past had Marilyn feeling pretty old and sedentary so when the surgeon said, "We would expect someone as young and active as you to do well, and you are" it made the walk back to van a lot easier.
Marilyn also told them that many acquaintances had told her they had no trouble or pain with their knee replacement. Both professionals shook their heads and smiled and said, "They forgot about the pain, it's the same with child birth, no one remembers the pain." The PA said, "for two weeks after any major surgery...it's just going to suck." I like medical professionals who can speak on my level.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

They told it like it is! I have to agree. I know this one lady, as I mentioned before, and she did great. She is in her early 60's. Another lady had her's when she was in her 80's (she's in her 90's now) and it was a little harder for her but she did well too. Give Marilyn another month and she'll be ready to give you a good swift kick with it and have no pain!! So be careful where you wag your behind!!

The Lion King sounds great! Too bad Marilyn didn't get to go.

Anonymous said...

I know it's easy for me to say, but tell Marilyn to be patience...in no time she'll be kicking footballs, and you in the butt! ;)

Recovery is a painful time and does play on the nerves a bit, too. Give her lots of TLC...and don't stop once she's kicking your butt! ;)

Miki said...

Cliff,
sorry to hear that Marilyn is down in the dumps. I have never had knee replacement, but had 3 C sections, those were hard to recover from, but the doc was right, you forget the pain. Tell Marilyn that I am pulling for her, she will get through this, her next Doc's visit will be better! Glad that you liked the PA, they tend to be more grounded than most docs out there, the truth is always what helps in any recovery. I had heard that the LION KING was a great show. Never got to see it on BROADWAY, but we have a summer theater in the next town and one in our town, maybe it will breeze through, and I will take the kiddies to see it!

EV said...

•Lion King is GREAT! Wait a minute, I sound like Tony the TIGER???
•Woo-hoo! It’s really wonderful to hear Marilyn is healing so well. It is a looong rehab.
•It’s always amazed me when folks are "surprised" it hurts after surgery. There's a disconnect in there somewhere. The good news is that there is good pain management available in the right hands.
•And how are you holding up, my friend? Take care.

Dan said...

I agree with you opinion of the Lion King, but I would have to replace your "fabulous" with "Cool". I think you can only say fabulous when you see it on Broadway.

Ralph said...

Cliff
I'm with you. I'd much rather hear "the pain is just going to suck" rather than "You might feel a slight discomfort".
Ralph

Cliff said...

This isn't the way I remembered your comment Ralph. \
Gotcha Dan.

Raggedy said...

The show sounded fantastic!
I am very happy with the doctor opinions that Marilyn is doing well. I am sorry she is in so much pain. I hope that she feels better soon. Recovery can be frustrating. Tell her we are thinking of her and to hang in there.

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Rhodent said...

Sorry to hear that Marilyn is still having the pain... hopefully it will begin to lessen soon! Take good care of her Cliff!

Glad you got to see the show with the kids... it is one I have wanted to see when it was in this area.

1 plus twins said...

so sorry marilyn is in the dumps. just take extra good care of her and remind that in the end it will all be worth it. we saw the lion king when we lived in ohio and man it was wonderful. we all just loved it!!

Jim said...

Hey Marilyn, get rid of that pain in your knee. One pain in the butt is enough!

The music in Lion King is wonderful. I really don't like the story.
..

JUST A MOM said...

Great job on the knee. I am sure they know how hard it is to try adn figure out doctoreeze. Hang in there.

poopie said...

Yeah..to heck with all that proper language. Patients need to really understand what's going on!

eyes_only4him said...

sorry the bride isnt doing well..I feel so bad for her, I can not even imagine whats like..

I hope she heals fast and she soon forgets about the pain.

Jamie Dawn said...

Surgery sucks! That is the truth.
Hang in there, Marilyn. I'm sorry you've had a rough time, but I'm glad that your recovery is on track.
Soon, you'll be climbing ladders and washing the outside of the upstairs windows. You'll be back doing cartwheels and splits in the front yard.

The Lion King sounds fabulous. If it comes nearby, I will go see it.

Anonymous said...

You married a champion. Yessir!!

Kendra Lynn said...

I hope I can take the girls to see LIon King someday. They sure love the movie.

Kendra

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
Sorry that Marilyn is having such pain. Healing takes time. It's slow and it sucks. When I visit again, we'll have to compare our beautiful scars.

Glad you enjoyed "The Lion King". Hey, it was better than a trip to the Craft Store anyways, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hi Cliff,
Our younger daughter (now in high school) still holds it against me that we couldn't see that production when it was here. (I smile and say, someday soon.) Glad you and the kids had a super time. Sure wish Marilyn could have gone.

Good news from the doctors and hope her pain ends very soon, so she can heal in comfort. Please give her extra hugs from us.