Sunday, January 14, 2007

Weekend Update

The weekend update goes like this. My wife is doing as well as can be expected. (excuse me, I need to add ice to the machine that pumps ice water around her knee) Okay where was I, Oh yeah Marilyns knee gives her considerable pain and she has always had trouble with nausea when on pain medication so...just a minute I need get her something to eat with her medicine. Darn I ran out of the jello I made yesterday. I'll put that on my list of things to do.
Anyway, I made her some pork chops with rice casserole in my dutch oven today and a chocolate cake from scratch last nite. It all tasted like Mom used to make except I don't remember Mom baking all of the moisture out of the cake. Maybe she did though come to think of it, back then was when we started filling a glass with cake and milk and eating it with a spoon. Good stuff. Sorry I'll be right back. I need to go fold towels and put another load in the washing machine. While I'm at it I'll empty and reload the dishwasher for I think the third time today. Baking takes a lot of dishes.
I'm back. Marilyn has had a lot of nice phone calls and well wishes from friends and relatives and church members. I stood up in church today and reported on Marilyn. I slipped up and mentioned I was there at church for the break. Laughter ensued. They thought I was kidding.
This weekend has been interesting in the TV department. Marilyn is camped in front of my big Sony taking high definition tours of exotic places. I on the other hand have also been watching some TV, NFL playoff games, in high def. On a 24 inch screen however. You see when I bought a nice Sony Bravia for the kitchen I envisioned Marilyn, cooking, loading the dishwasher, and adoring me verbally for my thoughtfulness at putting a nice TV like that in the kitchen. I would of course then be able to watch the NFL playoff games in all their big screen glory in the living room from my recliner. It wouldn't have to be big but now I'm thinking that a 36 or 42" wouldn't have looked out of place in the kitchen. Okay, one could get used to it at least.
Marilyn needs help with a shower now. I like this part. That is also the reason I could never have been a male nurse. I digress.
Okay, the shower is over. I also couldn't be a nurse because I don't like looking at incisions. More towels to wash. Yippee.
Now she wants hot tea, with sweetner and her PJ's.
I am doing my best to help her get well so she can get back to doing all of those activities that have meant so much to our marriage over the years.
Taking care of me.
I don't get it, she always made this look so easy.
Thought for the day: There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Cliff, you have such a way with words, you can transform the most menial tasks into the chores that martyrs are made of.
Now stop slacking and make that jello and please try to exhibit some restraint in the shower room.
Best to you both, but especially Marilyn, she is more likely to need our prayers.

Kendra Lynn said...

Hi there. :)
Sounds like you are being a great hubby. Keep up the good work, and I hope Marilyn is back on her feet soon!

Kendra

Rhodent said...

You are being a good hubby and I am sure that she appreciates all you are doing and/or trying to do. Knee surgery is supposed to be painful, so I feel for Marilyn. I watched my mom go through two separate knee replacements. Once she was ready to start walking again it went more smoothly... but not being able to lift is a drag. Hang in there buddy!

PinkCat said...

Oh Cliff I am well impressed with you right now. You can give men a good name that they deserve. Scivvy!!!! hehehehehe

TMI on the shower incident though and why is Marilyn only eating jello? hmmmmm.... I best not keep you from the kitchen and your chores Cliff.

Take care xx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having so much fun. Two years ago around this time my husband had a knee replacement done. He kept me hopping ~ more so than usual. He was on every pain pill there was, I swear. He said he never wants to go through that again. But he might have to, because he still has problems with that knee...

1 plus twins said...

oh cliff i am so glad marilyn is home and you are taking such good care of her (so you say lol). i am very proud of you. however i so didn't need the shower visual of you. lol take good care of her and give her more than dry cake and jello. lol

JUST A MOM said...

UUMMM Cliff, do you have a number where we can call when we are in need? Great job.

Jim said...

Marilyn, get well fast! Cliff might like the idea and have some surgery himself it you stay down too long.
..
And seriously Cliff, to save some time and your sanity you can wash the dogs along with Marilyn.
Mrs. Jim liked that idea when I was tending to her but it sure scared Adi. Your dogs might be less sensitive.
..

EV said...

Take care you two. God bless.

Miki said...

I am sure that Marilyn made it look easy. She is a strong woman, and strong women make everything go and seem easy! You too are a strong man, and Cliff, you will make it look easy by the time that the recovery is over!
You do laundry?????? WOW! Enjoy that Hi def in the kitchen, Marilyn needs the bigger one just now! Keep up the good work, and there is no better place to take a break than the church on a Sunday.

Dan said...

Mom, Milk it as long as you can, you deserve it!
Dad, No Comment.

Anonymous said...

Saint Cliff, huh? You'd be the first. I'm Catholic....I'll see what I can do.

Marilyn, have a painless, speedy recovery!!

Anonymous said...

Well Cliff, it sounds like you are doing a good job! Good for you. I knew you would after all. I hope she mends quickly and the pain eases soon. I have a friend that had this recently and she did great. In no time at all she was back to normal and pain free!

Thanks for the update!!

Ralph said...

Great post Cliff. Glad things went well in the shower.
Ralph

eyes_only4him said...

I am sure she is enjoying her break from waiting on u..hehe

I still wanna know who is groomin them dogs..

Hope she recovers fast, poor thing..I want to come and sit and watch tv with her...I like chocolate cake too cliff..

i have a headache today..

ok, so your not coming, thats what I thought.

*wishing Marylin well wishes from the land of 20 million bodies of water*

Paul Nichols said...

Just a reminder: boil a dozen eggs or so. Saves time in the kitchen...

You're a good man, Cliff.

Raggedy said...

Thoughts and prayers from our house to yours that Marilyn will make a speedy recovery. Pain meds make me feel sick too. I am sure her recovery will be swifter due to your devoted love and attention.
You are doing a wonderful job taking care of her. Bless you!

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

Anonymous said...

lol You're going to need a long holiday after this, Cliff!!!

Jamie Dawn said...

Good for you!! You are being an A+ hubby.
While helping her shower, I'm sure it wasn't necessary for you to ogle her whilst she was hobbling and trying to get washed. Was ogling one of the doctor's orders?
I didn't think so. :)
When Marilyn is well, she will repay you by allowing you to watch TV in your recliner while she brings you food and massages your feet. She may even ogle you while you shower... you never know!

Anonymous said...

Let me get out my violin. You certainly need some background music to go with your whine.

Actually, you seem to be more than capable of doing a great job and look how you will appreciate Marilyn when she gets back on her feet. (An aside to Marilyn. . . Take your time, rest is good, and enjoy all the attention while you can.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! Milk and cake. A family favorite hereabouts. Or you can sprinkle your dried out cake and cookie crumbs on ice cream. Also good.

JunieRose2005 said...

AHHH-Poor Cliff,

I sure hope your wife is better real soon!

Junie