Wednesday, May 30, 2007

ETC



They're Back! Each spring we develop a problem in our house. We have some large flies that appear seemingly out of nowhere. Usually about 10 of them. They are apparently hatched this size. They are huge. Bumble Bees can't be this big when they're born. These flies are large, hairy, and slow. They are here for just a few days and then they're dead. When you swat them (that's why they're dead) you need to be careful about what they are sitting on when you hit them. The toxic waste team that cleans it up will appreciate it. I've always made a habit of getting them vacuumed up right away for fear they might start to smell like a dead animal. I told you they were big.

*******


If you are a first time visitor to our part of the country and I take you for a tour of our little town, I will likely drive you by the Burt County Courthouse and say something like "That's where our Board meetings are held, you should see it on Memorial Day." While on my way to the Veterans service at the cemetery this past Monday, I snapped two pictures. The first is on my way north on main street. It shows the view from the southwest corner of the lawn.


This second picture is from the northwest corner facing east and shows a better view of the flags.

15 comments:

EV said...

You've hit on something here .... not the flies. It would be fun for several bloggers to do some post with picture tours of their towns. Anyway, love seeing Old Glory flying - thanx , Cliff!

Peter said...

Those flies might be big enough to barbecue Cliff, might even taste like chicken??

Ralph said...

Cliff
You probably have more flags at the County Courthouse than I saw throughout our whole city. All I can say, and I do mean it, is - I really like Tekamah.
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done. I'm with Ralph. I like Tekamah!

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing that many flags around our courthouse this Memorial Day...What's with that?
I'm glad to see that your town courthouse had some.

WOW...You sure have some BIG flies!
I bet our tiny ones can out-sting yours though. Ours really pack a mean sting, so at this time of year my perfume is called "ode de deepwoods off."

Unknown said...

I myself prefer straight up deet.

Miki said...

Cliff, your courthouse looks marvelous. What a great tribute to those we honor on Memorial Day. As for the flies, not sure, but have they come in on steroids? Should have them tested!

nora leona said...

Lovely courthouse, I think I remember those words coming out of your mouth.

My eye caught the post titles on your sidebar.

We Also Ran
Like Diarrhea

Jim said...

Hi Cliff -- Don't blame those HUGE flies on Texas. We grow them BIG but have laws preventing them leave the state.

I like your pictures too, Tekamah is a nice place. The high school is right across the street, maybe you could take its picture on your way home from the cemetery.
..

Lee said...

Maybe they're Jeff Goldblum's offspring!

Paul Nichols said...

Nice flags. Nice, indeed.

Two of them big flies chewed my cousin's big toe off back when we were about 12. He told us that he heard one say to the other, "No, we gotta eat him here. If we take him home, the big ones will take him away from us."

Cliff said...

Yep Paul,,, that's what I'm talkin about.

Jamie Dawn said...

Our swatter gets regular use around here. We haven't had those huge flies you're talking about though, thank the Lord. My hubby always laughs at me when I use the fly swatter because I generally miss the fly the first couple of times I try. I end up chasing it around and smashing it on about the third try. I do not give up easily.

Thanks for posting those great photos!!
I LOVE seeing our flag displayed, and seeing so many of them like that must give you goose bumps.

My MIL and SIL are visiting until Saturday. I'll post something new on Sunday.

Anonymous said...

We get flies that sound like the same kind for about a week on the business campus where I work. They just amble around and then they're gone.

Cas

Rachel said...

We get a few of those big flies around here. I hate the darned things. I sure would not want to grill one. Bleck!!!

Love your courthouse with all the flags. That is so pretty with all them waving in the breeze! They can't do that here since our courthouse is surrounded by concrete and roads.