Friday, May 11, 2007

High Water and Denny Crane


This photo is of a bridge not far from our house. I must cross it with farm equipment to get to one of my fields. The picture is taken from the middle of the bridge looking south. As you can see the 'approach' to the bridge is missing. I think it was transported via the Missouri River to somewhere near Kansas City. It was suggested at our board meeting that we should fix this or build a couple of ramps so it could be jumped ala the Dukes of Hazard. Thinking that my tractor and planter should remain in contact with Terra Firma, I landed on the 'fix it' side of this issue.
The bridge is on a curve in this drainage ditch and that fact plus the recent high water flow made for more turbulence than was planned for by the folks who installed the bridge. The approach dirt was washed out . As soon as the water level subsides a bit they will excavate and install sheet metal even deeper.
****
On another note, a couple of days ago I was watching TV and an Omaha Station reported that thru May 7th, this was the wettest year on record in Omaha. They have received 17 + inches of rain so far this year.
****
Marilyn and I were watching Boston Legal last week. We are particularly tickled with Denny Crane who is played by William Shatner. After one of his confrontations with an attractive female and having said something that should have embarrassed him but of course didn't, I said to Marilyn, "When I grow up I wanna be just like Denny Crane." She got all serious like and looked at and said "Honey, you already ARE Denny Crane." My dreams for my future dashed again.

13 comments:

Ralph said...

Judging from the fact that you posted this at four o'clock in the morning I am assuming you are not sleeping well because of all the rain.
Yeah, I thinking fixing the bridge is the best idea. I just tried to imagine jumping it with the John Deere and corn trailer - it wasn't a pretty site.
Ralph

Peter said...

You would certainly need to have a lean, mean, green machine Cliff... err sorry Denny.

Lee said...

I just love Denny and Alan's little soirees out on the balcony. The script in "Boston Legal" is absolutely wonderful...I love that show and never miss it.

I almost collapsed in laughter one night when they were both out on the balcony sipping their scotches and puffing on their cigars...Alan said very nonchalantly to Denny..."I didn't see you much this episode." And the camera drew away from them.

And at in the last episode of last season, Alan again said to Denny out on the balcony, "See you, next season." No fanfare...just slipped in for good measure. Ahh...good stuff! :)

Kendra Lynn said...

OOh. That bridge is a hazard!
Hope it gets fixed soon.

Kendra

eyes_only4him said...

holy crap Cliff, just back up, get a running start and jump over it.

dont worry I got your back..

Paul Nichols said...

I'm with Bossy. South is downhill, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Have you started planting again?

EV said...

This is soooo clear, Denny - I mean Cliff. Just apply "the secret" to the bridge issue. Who needs the Board?

"Pull a rabbit out of your hat. That's the secret both to trial law and life." - Denny Crane ;0)

Unknown said...

Love that midwestern weather...

Rachel said...

I hope your road is fixed soon Cliff. That is a lot of rain! I don't think the tractor would sail over the ditch no matter how much of a run you got at it! Meanwhile, I hope it's dried out so you can return to work.

Paul Nichols said...

It's Sunday evening. I hope your bride had a delightful Mother's Day.

Cliff said...

Thanks Paul, She had all of her spawn here today. I had to head out about 4:00 pm to plant corn.
Nice Mothers Day for sure.

Anonymous said...

Wow Cliff,
That's pretty impressive. Don't stand in the way of running water, when it's headed to the river.

Is that on the road where the Morton building is?

Hope you get done planting soon. Good luck.

Jamie Dawn said...

I had no idea you suffered from Mad Cow disease.

That explains so much.