Thursday, May 17, 2007

Like Diarrhea

I've decided planting on years when it's too wet, is like having a bad case of diarrhea. You're never sure when it's over. The corn is done. Or is it? I'm going out this morning to take some more stand counts. I have some poor stands in two places. And a lot of corn that isn't even up yet. Replanting requires a lot of decisions the least of which is will I be improving my chances of a good stand by replanting or will I be better off accepting what I already have.
Then there are the areas that were too wet to plant. Do you wait until the last few days of May and go try and plant another pass around these miniature lakes I have adorning my fields.
There also is the field the Missouri River reclaimed last week. When the water goes down as it is doing now, the catfish leave with the receding water, but the carp aren't that smart. They will get trapped in the ponds that are left and stay for the hazy lazy days of summer. Not smart. That's when they run out of oxygen and water for that matter and begin suning their bellies.
The water also leaves logs, sticks, bottles, more logs, planks, picnic tables, old refridgerators, boats, logs, duck blinds, decoys, maybe a dead farm animal, and then of course, logs, scattered all over the field. It will all need to be cleaned up when it is dry enough. IF that happens. Another decision waiting to be made.
So whilst I busy my self with normal farming activities for this time of year, my mind will be trying to decide whether or not to plant something else or just put the planter away for the season. Like diarrhea, the urges are there but I'm just not sure.

17 comments:

EV said...

"You're never sure when it's over." LOL-no kidding.

I know this is all trials and tribulations, but it's also interesting to someone who hasn't had this perspective. Now, if this was Corporate America, you'd have to follow a poorly thought out decision tree conceived by a someone with an agenda , a fearsome command of popular jargon, self-importance and lack of vision.

My money is on Cliff! Go get 'em, Buddy.

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
I agree with Mike. I think you need to have a meeting with all your employees (hmm, that would be just you). Maybe hire some consultants. Then have a kickoff meeting with your project timeline, with free food (and iced tea) provided.

BTW, our winter wheat is heading out and it's barely a foot tall.

Anonymous said...

Now this is one analogy I've never heard before.

If your next post says you've given your corn a dose of Tums, I'm going to have to start wondering about you Nebraskans.

Dan said...

Now Dad, like in Your "Tunnel Vision" blog, I find my self at a loss for words, just feeling a little uncomfortable. I think I'll head over to Ralph's.

PinkCat said...

Sounds crazy over at your place... I hope that it all works out for you Cliff.

I did however have to smirk at the title of your post. Although your dilema isn't smirkable.

Take care xx

LZ Blogger said...

Cliff ~ This conjures up way too many BAD memories and NONE of them have anything to do with actually planting CORN! ~ jb///

Lee said...

You sure have a lot of work there, Cliff. I don't envy you in the least. I hope everything works out well for you.

Peter said...

A great ANALogy there Cliff, hope you don't find too many carp hiding under those logs.... a bit smelly!!

Rachel said...

I'm sure you will make the right decision Cliff. After all, you have been farming for a year or two, right?

Good luck!! I'm pulling for you!!

Jamie Dawn said...

It seems to me that the presence of a bunch of logs is the OPPOSITE of diarrhea.

nora leona said...

I'm going to ignore your analogy and all of your clever reader comments.

I am thinking about you and all of the problems and the gas prices. Uggh.

Okay, maybe thinking about poo would be more plesant.

Rhodent said...

You've had too much rain and we have had none! Wacky weather for sure! I hope all of your planting gets settled and you get off the pot, so to speak!

Paul Nichols said...

YOU are quite the story teller. YOU know how to paint a picture without a brush. Nice post!

Paul Nichols said...

Uh-oh. What did I just step in?

Jim said...

It's easy to tell when it's over, just wait 'til it's over!
We're getting an early release from our jail tomorrow and will be home towards the end of the week
..

Unknown said...

At least with diarrhea, you can always take the safe route if you're unsure. Planting corn is more of a crapshoot (pun totally intended).

Anonymous said...

Cliffers, you crack me up (all diarrhea jokes intended on "crack"). Terrific analogy between planting corn and all the runs you need to make for these enormous amount of work.

I hope your crop yield smoothly with no "constipation."
(I'm still laughing at your closing line on this post. lol)