Monday, June 06, 2005

Whats the Score?

We went to Lincoln last evening to watch a coed softball game. (in the 'We Suck' league' as my kids put it) We mainly went to watch the youngest addition to the Morrow Clan, while her folks, and Uncle, played ball.
I am a big fan of watching live baseball/softball. They always ask me to keep score. I have a difficult time trying to keep score because I tend to watch the exciting play and then after the next batter is up I will typically say, "Oh what happened there". And then I try to rebuild the last 2 minutes.
Last night the umpire stopped to ask me the score. He reported it to the other side, " it's 8 to 7". They said "no its 9 to 8". I went over,,,, the other score keeper showed me where I had miscounted.
The next inning the umpire said to me "what's the score, or should I even ask"? He then said "well, I saw the scorebook in your hand and thought you might know the score, never mind". I tellya, I get no respect.

11 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

Was the higher score on your team? That is what matters right.

Ralph said...

Cliff
I keep score at one of Tiff's basketball games. They never asked me to do it again. Something about score keepers are not suppose to argue it the ref's.
Ralph

Cliff said...

Ralph!! you...argue with a ref???
I beg of you, write a blog about your younger days and basketball officiating.
MOM, yes the good guys won, 10 to 6. YEAH

Anonymous said...

Marilyn has always said you didn't know the score.

Anonymous said...

Being asked to keep score. Now there's an actually drawback to being a responsible adult.
Dan

Anonymous said...

I meant actual

Ralph said...

Cliff
I don't want to see you beg. I'll write a post and have it up tomorrow, hopefully.
Ralph

TLP said...

Great post! Loved it. I used to keep score for my daughter's team. The coach always disagreed with me on the hits. If a kid got on base, I gave him/her a hit. The coach said I was "too generous." If he thought that the kid should have been "out," they didn't get an "offical" hit. We're talking little kids here.

Gel said...

(I know better than to keep score...)
Cliff I can imagine you there. :)

Jamie Dawn said...

I've had a LONG day doing Algebra 1 with my son and Algebra 2 with my daughter. My head is so jumbled right now I probably couldn't count to ten.

Sounds like that ump was getting smart with you!

Cliff said...

Marty, I can tell there is more to this story.