Friday, April 07, 2006

We had a gentleman Attorney in our town, while I was growing up. He and his family were, and still are highly thought of. I want to throw in here that I went to school with his daughters, both were older than I. One of those girls is the mother of Summer Sanders of Olympic Gold Medal fame. Our little town needs to latch onto the few claims to fame that we have.
Her Grandpa Keith, the attorney, was a busy attorney, performed a lot business tax services, played golf, and he played at life. He was a friendly sort. He was kind of a man's man, if you know what I mean. He had a quick smile and was friendly to everyone in town no matter their background.
He could be seen after work walking across the street to the local pub. He would be there for a short time, to test the waters. Catch up on the gossip, buy a round, and hear the latest and best stories, and then leave.
One evening, he entered the bar where a conversation was already in progress. As he came thru the door someone says, "Hey Keith, I've decided I worry too much and I want to hire someone to do my worrying for me.... you interested in the job?"
Keith said with that sly smile, "You're always talking about how you don't have any money, how are you gonna pay me?" There was a bit of silence and the man said, "well, that can be your first worry."

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Ha! What a good comeback!! Bet he didn't take that job!

Julia Reffner said...

If he's still providing that service I'm willing to hire him. If his rates are reasonable I'd even be willing to pay. Provided he could prove that it works.

The Lumpy

Jamie Dawn said...

Good one!
Sometimes it's hard not to worry about stuff, but the truth is that worrying doesn't do anything to help, plus it causes wrinkles.

poopie said...

He'd probably starve if I was paying him. Money was the last thing I worried about with much conviction and I've let that one go too.

Susie Hovendick Chan said...

Funny how people are people everywhere. That coulda happent in my home town.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha that was very good.

EV said...

GREAT story, Cliff. Thanx for the good start to this day.

Miki said...

Cliff, thanks for the comment on my blog, yes, I think that the computer needs to be tested for something, but it is too young to have a prostate problem!
This was, as always, a cute story, I like both their styles! Plain and straightfoward, but dry and humorous just the same! Thanks for making me chuckle this morning!

Ralph said...

Good story Cliff. I wonder what you have to pay to have someone do that?
Ralph

PinkCat said...

Bloody brilliant story..!!

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

*snort* Sounds like my dad. He hired lots of people.... without any money.... He told them his Karma or something would figure it out. ( Can I mention a lot of people quit on him?)

Miss ya Cliff! I actually did write something at the Dew today, I know it's been few and far between lately.

I had a tornado scare, but didn't want to ruin my nails - hard decision. :)

Cliff said...

She's Alive!! Hi Idgie, good to hear that you are alive and kickin.