Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mother In-law

Some people think I pick on my Mother In-law. I'm not. I'm always trying to catch up. I've been on the road with a truck and called her to look up a phone number for me. She said "well this number is so easy,,,even you can remember it".
We were returning from a family get together about two hours from home. At the half hour mark, I pulled into a McDonalds Drive Thru to get Iced Tea. From the backseat she said, "I wouldn't think you'd be hungry after the load you took on back at the dinner".
Last spring my bride took her mother to Ash Falls. They are unearthing many skeletons of pre-historic animals. I said "so, you went to Ash Falls"... before I could finish she said "no, they didn't try to keep me for a display, wiseguy".
I stood up to speak at her 80th birthday celebration, a couple of years ago, and said, "We went out to Denver and moved my Mother In-Law out here to be with us, in the same town". "That was ten years ago, and 95% of the time since then,,, it's been a good idea".
I was chastised for being mean. I don't think so.
Yesterday, Marilyn took her Mom out for a birthday fling. A casual conversation yielded this touching admission from a Mother to her Daughter..."You guys have done such a nice job with raising your family. I'm really proud of you....... I even like Cliff".
Your honor, the defense rests.

9 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

Hey it could have been one of those "I told you so" talks.

Jamie Dawn said...

"She LIKES me! She REALLY LIKES me!"

She sounds like quite a card. I'll bet she has bugged you to death at times, and given you plenty to laugh about behind her back.

Paul Nichols said...

Just stopped by. I ain't touchin' that one.

Ralph said...

Cliff
I can see and hear all that happening. I'd have to side with you on this one - you're just trying to catch up. You probabaly never will, but you have to try.
Ralph

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
Everyone needs a good sparring partner to keep them humble. Just remember deep DEEP down, she really does like you.

Babette said...

Reading between the lines proves that she adores you! Jamie Dawn sent me and I trust her good judgement!

Rachel said...

She sounds like a jewel to me!!

eyes_only4him said...

well after all these years and she still likes u....now that is a feat:)


i love how u call your wife your bride..makes me smile

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Uhmmm... Yah, I'll not say a word I think.

:)