Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Reason Dogs Are Friendly!

"I've never told you this", my brother related, "but I think you might have a cancer sniffing dog". "You know, there really are dogs that can smell if there's something wrong with you". I nodded. Ed has survived a bout with the Big C
He said "last year, before I got sick, I would come out here, early in the morning, and service the combine". "If I laid down underneath of the machine, the dog would always get right in my face". "She'd never done that before, it was like she was trying to smell my breath and it bothered her". "I wonder if she knew I had cancer?"
We faced each other for a moment and Ed searched my face to see if I was agreeing with the possibility of a 'gifted' dog.
I thought for a moment and then the analytical part of my mind took over. I said "well, she also likes to carry dead skunks around".
"Remind me not to bring stuff like that up to you again....." his voice trailed off.
"Where'd you put the grease gun?

8 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHA Thanks Cliff , I needed that one today!

eyes_only4him said...

u sure do know how to tell a story buddy...

i wish i had a dog that cared so muc as to brong me home dead skunks:)

Rachel said...

Thanks for the chuckle Cliff!!

Jamie Dawn said...

That dog of yours is marketable.
Call Oprah! Call Dr. Phil! Call Geraldo!

magz said...

hmmm, amusing? why yes... but true. I'd bet the farm Ed's right, ask Marilyn.

AND my Fine Farmer Friend.. I have a proposal for you! It's just too aprapois NOT to take advantage of it...

What? You ask what could I possible want from you? Simple, and perfect in it's simplicity: Sign up for NaNo. November's a cold dark month in Nebraska, and YOU.. my friend, would be doing the world a favor by writing us a giddy/goofy/poignent/heartfelt/silly or serious novel during those 30 days...

Think about it? Just fer the helluvit?? Fer me... maybe? You'd love it Cliffie.. I promise.

Cliff said...

magz, let me think about it. You're right on the long cold month of November in NE.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

I stepped in dog poo on the living room floor this morning in the dark while trying to get to coffee.

I can't think of a nice thing to say about dogs right now.

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

I had to link to this story after the line,

"Well, she also likes to carry dead skunks around" - Cliff