Tuesday, February 14, 2006

LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING!

I was to emcee/entertain at our churches Valentines supper tonight. We invite everyone in our church to come to this. Married or not, widowed or divorced or not. Love is shared by all. All are welcome.
I gave the men a quiz about thier wives before the banquet, and we compared answers with their wives 'live' answers as part of the program. One of the questions I put in was, "How long has it been since you told your wife you loved her?" Most replied with somewhere between hours and days. One couple, (friends of mine), I made to face each other, I said to the husband, "Now look into her beautiful face (and it is a beautiful face) and say I love You". He did. I said "Thankyou". I then said, in my best Louis Black imitation, "Now I won't have to embarrass you by telling these people that you wrote that it had been twenty seven years since you said I love you."
The highlight of the evening, as least for me, came when I asked a blind member of our congregation, a lady, if her husband helped with the housework. She said he most certainly did not. Then she said, "he does move the furniture around... without telling me somethimes". That brought the house down.
Marilyn and I have been married 34 1/2 years. As we got ready to go out tonight, she presented me with a boutineer (I have no idea how to spell it). It was nice. She pinned it on my lapel, said "I love you", and drew her lips near mine, closed her eyes, and then remembered that I've had the flu, jerked her head back, and started slapping me on the top of the head the same way Benny Hill used to do to the little bald guy.
I suppose I deserved it because earlier I had presented her with a plant telling her " I saw this plant and thought of you and how much you love ornamentals, and also that I didn't think you'd ever tried to kill one of this variety yet." I could write a book on things not to say.
Life is interesting and worth living out here in the country. But only if you make it that way. It's a do it yourself thing. I'll bet it's the same wherever you live.
Come visit, we'll bake a cake.

15 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

I emceed a couple of those banquets in the past. You and I have a lot in common--including "sensitive" wives.

Miki said...

Will the cake be chocolate???? Then you are ok in my book! Hey, Cliff, if you gave your wife the plant and just said,"Happy Valentine's Day," you wouldn't be in trouble! WRite that book, it will be a best seller. Not only will people laugh at your mistakes, but they surely won't make them! Happy belated Valentine's day, sound like you had a nice time at the supper.

Cliff said...

Yeah Paul, I don't know where they get that.
Miki, of course it will be chocolate. White frosting. You know, the sour cream type.

Rachel said...

My favorite kind of cake!!

Sounds like you did a great job as emcee of the Valentine supper at church. I'll bet that was lots of fun for everyone involved.

I take it Marilyn doesn't have a green thumb? Maybe you should write that book Cliff. It may save marriages!

Ralph said...

Cliff
I can see Marilyn hitting you on the head. Say, could I co-author that book with you?
Ralph

Cliff said...

Actually Rachel, Marilyn is nearly an outdoor master gardener. It's the indoor plants that suffer. If they've survived here in this house for several years...they are hardened off. Our Christmas Cactus has been taken to the edge many times.
Ralph, it's a deal on the book. You would be fertile ground for research.

poopie said...

Strawberry cake, please.

Jamie Dawn said...

Marilyn is so lucky to have such a man of unbounded romance, whose well chosen words just resound with perfection.

The church Valentine's dinner sounds like it was great fun! You did good!

EV said...

I loved your recounting of the Valentines Dinner. Both you and Marilyn and very fortunate!

Miki said...

MMMMMMMMM! The cake sounds heavenly, no pun intended on a post about a church supper!!! Anyway, maybe sometime in the future hubby and I will get in that car and take a long drive, to NEBRASKA! Then I would certainly look you up! and yes, you would be making that cake!

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
You gave Marilyn yet another plant to kill and she recoils after almost kissing you. I think that's just great. You've got this marriage thing down to a science.

Great story!

eyes_only4him said...

aww, that sounds like a wonderful night...

my hubby dont even move the furniutre..i do it;)

i am glad you adn your bride had a specail valentines day;)

Felecia said...

I really enjoyed your post, Cliff! Sorry to drop in, but I saw a few comments left at Christina's site that enticed my curiousity enough for a visit. I'm glad I did - your lighthearted stories of Valentine's day nearly make up for your thick-skulled comments to your bride!

Anonymous said...

Great Post and what a wonderful way to celebrate Valentine's Day with church friends. I miss the midwest and church suppers.

Gel said...

Heartwarming. I love Valentine's Day. My hubba hubba was traveling, though so we decided (well I did...lol) that the entire rest of Feb is Valentine Month. Love is not for that one day anyway!

You are definitely in your element being an Emcee! :)
I think humor and love are closely intertwined. You and Marilyn compliment each other (and I mean that in all senses!)