Monday, February 20, 2006

Our Neighbor













This is Gladys B.
From my earliest recollection, she has been a part of my life.
As we traveled the two miles to our country school, her house was the last one on the left. Her kids were a bit older than I but not by much. If there was a 'club' meeting at her house, we got to stop on our walk home from school, get some left over dessert that was always delicious, and then have the rest of the neighborhood wives tell all of us kids how 'big' we were getting.
My Mom and Dad did not talk down their noses at people they knew. We just knew the ones my folks really respected. Tony and Gladys were well respected by my folks. Tony farmed by us here for many years and finally (and wisely I might add) got out of farming and moved to town. That was a sad day for the neighborhood.
Tony wanted everything just right. It showed around his farm. He was an old Navy man and that showed. He had a spit and polish kind of attitude about his farm machinery and farm buildings. He liked to do woodworking and was oh so good at it.
They were members of our church from my earliest recollection. Gladys always appreciated what others had done in the service of God, and she showed it. I've received many thank you notes from her about things that I did that didn't need a thank you note, but that's the way she is. Tony and Gladys were always my daughters biggest fans when she played the organ or piano at church. They presented her with a beautiful music rack/stand. It had four sides and stands about 5 feet tall. It is a real work of woodworking art. Tony made it for her. Tony passed away and has been gone for a while and Gladys has been in their home in Tekamah. It has reached the point where she needed some help and she wants to be closer to her daughters in Colorado. Gladys moved last week. It's the end of an era for me.
I think back on some contentious church business meetings over my 56 years and Tony and Gladys were at everyone of them, firmly standing up for what was right. They were kind but firm. This world has precious few 'proper' folks in it. Gladys and Tony were proper. They never entered into petty disagreements. They never 'stirred the pot' or gossiped.
Well, Gladys is still a bright, vibrant person who has a few medical problems. I went to her farewell coffee last week. As we got ready to leave she said, "Cliff, I've always loved all of you Morrow's, I'm going to miss you guys". Glady's, we love you too. Tekamah will never be the same again, without you. Gods Speed.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a terrific neighbor!

Rachel said...

What a great story. So wonderful that those kind loving people were your neighbors and you knew them all those years. They don't come any better than that. She will be missed but it sounds like time for her to be near her children.

Great tribute to a fine lady.

Paul Nichols said...

You're high class, Cliff.

Cliff said...

No Paul, but Gladys is.

Jamie Dawn said...

I wish her years of happiness & better health with her daughter in CO. She has lived her life well and made the world around her better. I'm sure she will continue doing the same.

Miki said...

Cliff, it shows that you too are a kind and proper sort of folk. Your caring and dedication to those whom you respect shows, everytime you write a tribute to them. This post is of no exception. Having truly decent people in our lives while we grow, I won't say up or older, I will just leave it at grow, helps to shape who and what we become. Gladys sounds as if she helped many people become what they are today! Good luck and GODSPEED, Gladys, you will make your new home a great one to live in!

EV said...

That was a wonderful sentiment to a very nice lady. I wish her well, too! Thanx , Cliff.

Ralph said...

Cliff
First of all, that is one excellent post. I wish I could have meet Gladys and Tony.
Secondly, what part of Colorado? Seems like you now have another person out here you could visit. Playing on a popular theme . . I'll BUY a cake.
Ralph

Jim said...

Tekamah and the church will miss Gladys. She and Tony were fine folks. My folks spent a lot of time with them and Cliff's parents.
Ralph, we had a saying at the watch factory in Lincoln, Nebr. We would have liked to move to Colorado, land of opportunity, but we were too poor to leave town. I was. Well, maybe I was [having too much fun in my misery].
..

Anonymous said...

Cliff,
Good neighbors are hard to come by. Especially the classic kind like Gladys. Sounds like you two have admired each other for years. Thanks for sharing your glowing tribute.

Anonymous said...

You've stirred up a lot of memories, Bro! Memories of Tony & Gladys & their daughters; of Glady's mother, Mrs. Patrick, who lived in the little white house across the yard & garden from them; of Glady's sister, Velma and her family, who lived on a farmstead just down the road; of Glady's sister, Mae & her family, who were also part of our church family. Although I didn't meet all of them until I was in high school, it seems I've known them all of my life....special memories of special people from our past!...Okie Sis

Cliff said...

You've forgotten one more sister Okie Sis. Pood and Vera Williamson. Mae moved away but the other three (Including Vera) were lifetime members of our church. The husband of one of Vera's Grandaughters purchased the 160. The house was split off and is still a residence.

Anonymous said...

Almost as soon as I logged off I realized I had meant Vera and not Mae. I didn't know her as well as the rest. I believer her husband was a minister....Okie Sis

poopie said...

*grinz* I feel the same way about my neighbors Cliff. Don't you feel sorry for folks who don't know that feeling?

Rhodent said...

Good neighbors are so important! I love my neighborhood and hope that when we seel the house I will be able to find a place close by here.

That was a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a wonderful lady!

Dan said...

Good story Dad. But come on Ralph, "Buy a Cake" is my line!

Anonymous said...

You have had the joy of growing up and living in the same area all your life. In the America of today, that is a rarity. The story of your neighbor, Gladys and her husband, is outstanding. I have lived in the same small town since 1972 and I am blessed with the stability of old and dear friends. I feel blessed.