Thursday, February 02, 2006


Marilyn and Terah, planning a dessert and posing. These are fake smiles. I was trying out some of John's lenses for his camera. He has a Canon SLR Digital like mine. This was about the 5th shot we had them turn around and pose for. Marilyn suggested I stop. I recognized the tone of voice. It was the same tone she used when she announced to me that 3 kids were all she was going to have.
A week or two ago, we were the recipients of quite a treat. Two members of my blog roll, John and Terah, came for a visit. We had never met. The funny thing about bloggers, is that when you finally meet, it's as though you just begin visiting where you left off the last time you were together. Only thing is, you've never been together. This makes seven people on my roll that I know on a personal level. Dan thru Terah on the list, and Jerry and Jim. That seems like a lot, considering the nature of the internet. Back to the visit. John is a computer genius, geek, and other names Terah called him. Well, I was the one who called him a genius. She called him a geek. But the point is, he has 5 books published on computer programming, translated into a few different languages and he and I couldn't talk business. If you know what I mean. He was considerate of this old farmer in not embarrassing me by talking about computers. He was able to 'dummy down' enough to explain to me what he did for a living. (note: I've noticed, that when John blogs about certain topics, his 'reads' totals go from the usual 100 or so readers, up to 4 or 5 thousand. Those are the blogs that are unintelligable to me.) Terah contracts out as a social worker and we had some great discussions. She has an interesting job and is very witty.We had a great visit Saturday afternoon and on into the night and many topics were covered. Many very hilarious things were said, mostly by Terah. (it's the few words she adds at the end of her thought that one needs to listen for) We casually mentioned they should sing in the choir the next morning and so they did. It was good to see them making themselves at home in a Baptist Church. They even had been warned about our church's annual potluck and business meeting and I'll be darned if they didn't show up with food for that. All in all, a great pair of visitors. It was kind of like having one of my siblings visit. They're already family I guess. We were at ease with them and didn't feel like we needed to act like something we're not. That's pretty difficult for us anyway. I will say that Terahs confessed love for choclate did get the best of me. I like chocolate cake as long as it has white frosting and maybe some vanilla ice cream. Well, in honor of Terah, Marilyn made chocolate brownies, chocolate ice cream, with her famous homemade chocolate sauce. I couldn't handle much, but it was good. I'm sure we'll return the visit one day. I hope soon. A good time was had by all. Come visit, we'll bake a cake.

14 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm on my way, get out in the kitchen and rattle some pots and pans Cliff!!

Only kidding, don't panic!!

I'm glad you had a great visit. That chocolate cake sounds mighty good. I read their account of the visit and they turned down a horseback ride! I can't imagine anyone turning down a horseback ride.

You forgot RALPH. He's someone you know in person on your blogroll.

Great post as usual Cliff!

Cliff said...

Actually Rachel, Ralph was included on my Dan thru Terah, and Marilyn and I already have your place reserved at the table.
BTW, Ralph and Char are also 'family' type of guests.

EV said...

Too cool! Thanx for sharing the visit with us - especially, the Chocolate Madness Festival. Cliff, your blog reflects your affability. It's a joy!

Anonymous said...

I was trying to come up with a great comment when I was stopped by Mike's "Chocolate Madness Festival" comment. Now I'm drooling! Maybe I could talk to some people and have the annual Threshing Days festival add a side Chocolate Festival? Most people around here are of German descent, so it should be a natural fit....

Okay, back to reality. We had a great visit & you're welcome to stop by anytime!

Gel said...

I'm smiling at the terrific visit you had and that photo of two fine woman that shows this. Canon makes gr8 cameras. I own Canon also.
Another similarity is I love chocolate cake with vanilla icing. (I'll pass on vanilla ice cream; vanilla is not a flavor in ice cream unless there's enough chocolate syrup to drown out the vanilla flavor.)

Peter said...

I have a friend who's favourite saying about visiting, "It's nice to be with nice people" sorta says it all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post, Cliff. We had a great time too.

But I'm afraid Terah is going to send me a large chocolate-related grocery list today....

Rhodent said...

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting most of the people on my blog list in person. I have talked to one of them on the phone. Of course I do know my 2 offspring that blog.

I think I know what you mean about about "visiting where you left off" though... it would be great fun to meet you and your family in person... maybe someday. I feel that same way about some many of the people that I visit through blogging. There are a lot of very wonderful people out there!

How did you do with that sink, by the way? ;o)

Cliff said...

Rhodent, the sink is in the 'staging' area. Okay, it's laying in the hallway and new faucet set is on Marilyn's dresser. Someday.
I'm pretty confident we will meet you one day.

Jim said...

I'm learning about your 'family.' They all are pretty nice, having earned their place.
This reminds me I should check the pan under our kitchen sink. It has been catching drips since before we left for Iowa. A plumber is going to help me with that one.
..

Jim said...

I just emptied the meat loaf pan. There wasn't even a half inch of water for a whole week.
Maybe we don't need the plumber, we could empty the pan every couple of months to overflow.
I had a leak in the roof in our former house. I put a bucket with a pipe going outside to dispose of the rainwater. A new roof finally fixed that. I hope Mrs. Jim doesn't want a new sink to fix this leak.
..

Miki said...

Glad that you had a great visit, I can see and comment on your blog again.
Thanks for giving us , as always a great story. I am still drooling about the desert! CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE! Don't let my son read this, he will try to nag me to make desert.

poopie said...

You've got the best sense of humor I've seen in a while Cliff. I like "Marilyn's tone of voice"..heh. Can't wait to meet y'all and eat some chocolate covered brownies ;)

Ralph said...

As I read this I started to worry about where Char and I would be sleeping next time we came out. Seems like you always have a house full of people. I figured I could sleep in my van and Char could take one of the recliners. Then reality hit - both Char and I will be sleeping in the van! Providing there is still room to park.
Glad you had a good visit.
Ralph