I've written very little about the wedding. It was such an emotional roller coaster. Rather than try to be creative let me just name off the highlights.
1. My daughter has always wanted to do a performance on a Stienway and Sons Grand piano. She was flawless. The music couldn't have been more appropriate or performed better. I smiled at her answer when I asked how she liked the piano. "It has an uneven touch." She may be hard to please.
2. I will not forget the moment at the end of the ceremony when the Pastor turned the couple around after the kiss, and announced them as Stephanie and Tom Morrow. The lights had been dimming almost without notice and a spot was on them as they turned around. Everyone cheered and Tom took Steph by her left hand. We cheered and Tom raised his left hand with a full arm wave. It was the Richard Nixon wave without the V sign. A huge smile was plastered on their faces.
Well the parents were ushered out and Tom came over to me and hugged me for about fifteen seconds and we both lost it.
He and Steph composed themselves and went to the front and greeted and hugged each attendee as they were dismissed. They were a gracious couple indeed. Yep, that memory will be with me for a long, long time.
3.Son Dan, four years Tom's senior and his boss, was the best man. At the reception he gave a toast that had the 300 people in attendance almost rolling on the floor with laughter for almost ten minutes. He finished and had us all in tears at the end. I'll post a pic of their embrace after the toast that lasted about thirty seconds.
4. I wanted to take the mic, it was offered to me, but knew I couldn't say what I wanted to say. Besides speaking of the Bride and the Groom I wanted to relate the compliment that his Brother paid Tom about six months ago. Dan and I were discussing the newly engaged couple and how happy they were. Dan said about his brother, "I hope Steph knows what a great man she is marrying, they don't come any better than Tom." I thought that spoke volumes because of who was saying it. The two boys have worked closely for several years.
5. All of my siblings made the effort to be there. They came from Tulsa, Clovis NM, and four from here in the state and Marilyn's brother and entire family came from Dallas. We had close friends travel clear across Nebraska to be there as well as from Iowa. It wouldn't have been complete without all of the family there. I even had cousins of mine from Iowa and Florida make the trip.
6. CHAR AND RALPH: These guys were the host couple at the reception. They came 4 days early to help. Help they did. Tirelessly. Marilyn and I are very fortunate to be able to call these two friends. We love them both. That last sentence will really bother Ralph. Live with it Ralph.
Ralph has just taken up the game of golf. I predict he will be better than I in 2 years.
Note: Ralph married over his head.. so did I.
And lastly an update. The newlyweds called from San Francisco the day they arrived. Tom said it seemed to be a popular destination for 'couples'.
Okay thanks for putting up with all of this.