Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same


"Now when you get up there Sunday, talk real loud and slow"!!

My Dad road horses to grade school. Well I think usually just one. (circa 1915) He spoke a few times about the Christmas program at school, and what a huge event it was to a country school, and how he was so embarassed the night they had him start the program by holding two ears of corn by the side of his head and repeat the Bible verse, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." The crowd roared with laughter and he was pretty sure they were all laughing at him and not with him.
For generations now, kids have been learning their 'Piece' for the program at Church or at School.
This is my seven year old Grandson, "Saying his piece", Sunday at Church. The program was a good one. As you can see it had a cowboy theme that ran throughout the program. There were rave reviews and no corn or corn cobs were involved. I don't think that Dad had a microphone back then and he was probably lacking the drop down screen and the media person running the power point.
Kids need goals like this. Something they don't really want to do but must, that everybody witnesses, and then when it's over, they did it better than they thought they could. Then everyone gathers round to congratulate them. And guess what, they'd like to do it again.
Adults are the same way. We'd just like someone to pat us on the back, smile, and say "you did a really good job".
Okay folks, practice your piece and say it loud and slow.

13 comments:

Peter said...

I imagine it's the same in your neck og the woods as here Cliff, the confidence that youngsters havr in their own ability is amazing.
As a by product of this their performance is polished and presentation is often spectacular, boy I got some big words out of my system there!!!

EV said...

"You do a really good job, Cliff" I enjoy reading your blog every post. Thank you, my friend.

Paul Nichols said...

Very perceptive, Cliff...and humorous, too. You deserve a pat on the back.

bridgesitter said...

I agree with you on that Cliff, when we do things we'd rather not, we discover new things about ourselves, new possibilites and new strengths.

Good post.

Ralph said...

Cliff
I am patting you on the back, smiling, and saying "you did a really good job". Nice Post.
Ralph

Rachel said...

Your grandson is so cute. I love the cowboy theme. I love to watch the kids do their programs at school and at church.

Here's a pat on the back for you Cliff! You have a wonderful family, faith in God, a great sense of humor, and you have a great blog! Okay, two pats!!

eyes_only4him said...

how cute is your grandson????.

He is good looking like his grandpa..

and I am giving you a pat on the back...ok, now its your turn to give me one:)

Gel said...

Adorable, meaningful, and memorable post. My husband and I tied for a religious school essay. He is 2 yrs older than me so I've always maintained that I should have won exclusively, but the memory I remember is of all those adults in the audience "kveling!" (Recall Yiddish lessons from my blog: it means to glow with great pride and joy).

I also recall being stunned since it was a surprise and mortified at having to read it in front of the entire congregation. I was older than your cute grandson, but still at the "red as a beet" stage. And no, I wasn't dressed in a cowboy get-up. Thanks for sharing this moment in his and your lives!! :)
(Oh, can we see the photo of you when you did this as a youngin'?)

Jamie Dawn said...

"And lo, there were shepherds in the fields feeding their flocks by night..." I'm picturing Linus on A Charlie Brown Christmas. I LOVE that part when Linus does his "piece." I'm sure your grandson was Linus and then some! What a cute young feller. I'm sure he got a lot of positive feedback from everyone. He did a fine job, and so do you each and every day. You're a good man, Cliff Morrow. Thank God for good guys.

Jim said...

I'll bet he did real good. He doesn't look a bit mike shy.
Good picture too, did you take that?

Anonymous said...

Grandfather, father, husband, friend, farmer. You wear a lot of hats and you wear them all well. Just wanted to say that you, Cliff Morrow, are an all-around good egg. And "you did a really good job".

Rhodent said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Cliff! I look forward to another year of wonderful heartwarming and humorous posts from you... one of my very favorite bloggers! Thank you for making my life brighter!

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Merry Christmas Cliff! Have a wonderful holiday.

Give the horses a hug from the Idgster.