Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Horses Are Out!!!

When my Wife says,"the horses are out", it strikes, ...well fear isn't the right word, maybe helplessness, in my soul. If you've ever tried to re-pen some horses, you will know it's close to impossible. It's like trying to put two magnets together. They see the pen and run the other way. In a group. Heads held high. Tails straight up. All running, away from where logic should tell them to go.
The way to get them in is to stand by the gate and wait for them to run back in. (this they will eventually do if you can guard the gate a bit and make them think you don't want them to reenter.
Well Marilyn waited them out last night and got them in, then she politely asked, "CAN YOU FIX THE FENCE IN THE MORNING"???
So I did. With pleasure. Did I mention how much I love horses. I believe that if God had wanted us to have horses on a farm, he wouldn't have allowed the Power Take-off shaft to be invented for farm tractors. And why are we still racing horses. Look at the Indy 500. Those cars go much faster than horses. I was grumbling a bit. Okay, muchly. But I found where the fence was down. It was behind the barn. I had a flash back while I was fixing it. I thought, 'I've been here before'. And then I started thinking back to last fall and my buddy Ralph who came to Tekamah, from Denver, to help me. He helped me put the fence back up the last time it was knocked down. We think a deer may have hit it this time. Single strand electric fences are prone to being knocked down by deer, that are in a hurry. Last fall it was knocked down by a Deere.

6 comments:

Idgie @ the "Dew" said...

Please, you only have a single strand electric fence holding those pretty little beasties in? I had one horse that Daddy tried that with - the dern thing figured out that if he just got shocked ONCE and kept contact with the fence, he could just scoot on out! We'd watch him shock his withers, then continue to slide under keeping his back and rump in contact. Dern smart horse. Too bad it was sort of insane.

Gas station down the road used to love when he got loose - they'd catch him and sell pony rides for a quarter until we showed up! Right of capture charge or something.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like trying to get sheep back into the pen.

Ralph said...

Cliff
Marty's hit the nail on the head. The minute I read the title, I was back on the farm setting in the seat of the John Deere with the corn trailer in tow saying to myself, "There's plenty of room to turn around here".

Ralph said...

Cliff
Marty's hit the nail on the head. The minute I read the title, I was back on the farm setting in the seat of the John Deere with the corn trailer in tow saying to myself, "There's plenty of room to turn around here".

Ralph said...

Cliff

The minute I read the title I was back on the farm sitting in the John Deere with the corn trailer in tow thinking to myself,"Why there is plenty of room to turn the trailer around".
Ralph

Ralph said...

Cliff
As exited as I was about this blog I have no idea how three comments appeared. Sorry about that.
Ralph