Tuesday, March 22, 2005

To Alvin and Vic

Terah, John, and Ralph, all linked on the right, have lost loved ones in the past 48 hours. I didn't know John's Grandfather but feel as though I knew him a little by reading their blogs about him. I did know Ralphs father-inlaw Vic, but I knew Vic's wife better. They were gracious people and always made us feel welcome.
I guess the point I'm wanting to make here is that it's not easy to be the patriarch of a family and have the respect and love of those you've been nurturing over the years. Both of these men indeed died with the respect and love and admiration of their families. I don't think there can be more to ask of a parent than to be able to say they lived respected and died regretted.
Marilyn and I visited Vic for a brief time on Saturday morning. Ralph and Char took us. As Char asked questions of him about his eating, and did he want to go out to supper, He held his head still and moved his eyes left and right. His words were carefully measured. (But then as far as I know his words were always carefully measured.) I think he was concerned about the trouble he would cause them because of having been put in a wheel chair.
As I sit here and type, I weep for my friends and their Fathers and Grandfathers but am also happy that they will miss these gentle men because they were loved and respected and their parting is regretted. Farewell.

3 comments:

Ralph said...

Nice post Cliff. THANK YOU.
Ralph

bridgesitter said...

Hi Cliff, it is a nice post. I would like to have met some of these gentle folk. You are a good friend to their families and it shows.

Gel said...

So touching & thoughtful.
Leaving to get tissues for tears b4 I make my way over to Ralph's. First I heard of this news. :(